Child support is an essential aspect of family law, designed to ensure that children receive the financial support they need to thrive. In Vancouver, Washington, child support guidelines and calculations are utilized to determine the appropriate amount of support. This article aims to provide a comprehensive overview of the child support guidelines, income determination, adjustments, shared parenting considerations, and the legal processes involved in establishing, modifying, or enforcing child support orders.

Child Support Guidelines in Vancouver, Washington

In Washington, child support guidelines are primarily based on the Washington State Child Support Schedule. This schedule takes into account the income of both parents, the number of children, and other relevant factors. The guidelines provide a standardized method for calculating child support, ensuring consistency and fairness in determining financial obligations.

Income Determination

To calculate child support, the court considers the income of both parents. This includes wages, salaries, commissions, bonuses, and other sources of income. It is important to note that income is not limited to traditional employment and may include self-employment earnings, rental income, investments, and more. The court also considers any potential imputation of income if it is determined that a parent is intentionally unemployed or underemployed.


In certain cases, adjustments to the standard child support calculations may be necessary. These adjustments take into account additional expenses, such as childcare costs, health insurance premiums, and extraordinary medical expenses. The court may also consider adjustments based on shared parenting arrangements, which involve significant time spent by both parents with the children.

Shared Parenting Considerations

Shared parenting arrangements recognize the importance of both parents’ involvement in their children’s lives. In such cases, the child support calculations may be adjusted to reflect the amount of time each parent spends with the children. This adjustment recognizes that shared parenting often involves shared expenses, and both parents should contribute to the child’s financial well-being in proportion to their time spent with the child.

Legal Processes: Establishing, Modifying, and Enforcing Child Support Orders

  1. Establishing a Child Support Order: When parents separate or divorce, establishing a child support order is crucial to ensure the financial stability of the child. This involves filing a petition with the court and providing information about income, expenses, and other relevant details. The court then determines the appropriate child support amount based on the guidelines and the specific circumstances of the case.
  2. Modifying a Child Support Order: Over time, circumstances may change, necessitating a modification of the existing child support order. Common reasons for modification include changes in income, significant changes in parenting time, or changes in the child’s needs. To modify a child support order, a parent must demonstrate a substantial change in circumstances and file a petition with the court.
  3. Enforcing a Child Support Order: Unfortunately, some parents fail to meet their child support obligations. In such cases, it is crucial to enforce the child support order to protect the child’s well-being. Various enforcement mechanisms exist, including wage garnishment, interception of tax refunds, and suspension of driver’s licenses. Legal action may be necessary to enforce the child support order and ensure compliance.

John L. Davis PLLC: A Logical and Effective Approach

At John L. Davis PLLC, we understand the complexities and sensitivities surrounding child support matters. Our experienced staff are committed to providing honest, straightforward legal counsel to help you achieve the best possible outcome. We offer cost-effective and results-driven legal guidance in a wide range of practice areas. If you have questions or concerns about your child support agreement, call us today at (360) 597-4740.

site by LegalRev