I’ve been arrested. What are my rights?

If you have been charged with a crime in Washington State, you have the right to legal representation and the right to remain silent when questioned by law enforcement officers.

I think I may need a criminal defense attorney. How can you help me?

Criminal defense lawyers can often help find legal, scientific or technical reasons why you may not be guilty. If your arrest was invalid or illegal due to violations of your civil liberties or for other reasons, your attorney may be able to get your charges reduced significantly.

What happens if I am convicted of a crime?

Individuals convicted of misdemeanor or felony crimes in Washington State can expect to face penalties such as prison time, expensive fines, mandatory counseling and drug and alcohol testing. Defendants convicted of DUI can may have their licenses suspended or even revoked.

The specifics of your sentence will depend on the nature of your crime. Ask your attorney about how the law may apply in your case.

Do I need an attorney to get a divorce?

While you don’t necessarily need an attorney to get divorced, having legal representation during either an uncontested or a contested divorce is the best way to protect your rights and interests, as well as those of your children.

What does “no-fault” mean?

Washington is a “no-fault” state, meaning couples wishing to divorce are not required to name a specific reason for doing so.

What does “community property” mean?

Washington is a “community property” state, meaning that assets (i.e. property) acquired during the course of marriage are presumed to be community property. This is often divided equally upon divorce, but the court has discretion to award property disproportionately.

Is there any property that’s exempt from distribution?

Possibly. Assets acquired prior to marriage or after separation are often presumed to be separate property, but the court has discretion to divide all property before it.

How do I get custody of my child?

Washington courts prefer to involve both parents in raising their children. RCW 26.09.187 provides a set of criteria the court can look at when deciding a parenting plan for the family. The most important favor considered by the court is the relative strength, nature, and stability of the child’s relationship with each parent.

How can I get child support?

The non-custodial parent is generally required to pay child support to the custodial parent. To help pay the child’s living expenses, daycare, health insurances, among other costs.

How can an attorney help me buy real property?

Working with a real estate attorney helps protect your substantial investment from various legal issues, fraud or any other kinds of misrepresentation.*

*Remember, realtors are not qualified to give legal advice, in fact, it is “unlawful” to do so. Schedule an appointment with a Vancouver real estate lawyer (and former realtor) today to learn more.

John L. Davis PLLC has been representing Vancouver individuals since 2003. If you or someone you love is currently struggling with a family, business or real estate issue, call (360) 597-4740 for compassionate legal assistance.

Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Not readable? Change text.