Thorough & Compassionate Family Law Attorney Helping Vancouver Clients With the Custodial Modifications Process

It is exceedingly normal that as time goes on, adjustments must be made to previously agreed upon custodial or spousal agreements. Even when both parties agree to the modifications, a court must ratify the updated agreement or parenting plan for the changes to be lawful.

Spousal Modifications

If you and your former spouse have an alimony agreement in place and one or both of you needs to change its terms, the process can easily become just as contentious as your divorce proceedings were. This is why you need a trusted and aggressive family law modifications attorney representing you as you file your petition and head to mediation and the courtroom.

Custodial Modifications

Making modifications to a parenting plan or custodial agreement is usually more complicated than spousal agreement adjustments because the courts have a duty to rule in favor of the best interests of the children involved. Common reasons for custody modifications include a change in income, relocation due to career or personal matters, or because one parent no longer feels the other parent is a capable caregiver. The courts will weigh many factors, including:

  • Whether or not the parents agree to modifications
  • If the parent requesting the modification is the primary caregiver of the child(ren)
  • If the request is valid or simply an attempt by one parent to cause emotional harm to the other parent or child(ren)
  • If one parent has interfered with the custodial agreement in the past

Don’t Fret — You’re Not Alone

Regardless of your circumstances, attorney John L. Davis has the experience and skill necessary to fight for your rights in court. He will work tirelessly on your behalf to make sure you and your family receive the best possible resolution to your situation.

John L. Davis PLLC has been providing compassionate family law and modifications attorney services to Vancouver clients for over a decade. Don’t wait another minute to get the help you need — call us today at (360) 597-4740 to get started.